The Housing and Area Development Department (HGO) has tasks at a strategic policy level and an operational level.
- Guiding/caring for real estate transactions
- Parcel allocation in the Leiden Bio Science Park (LBSP) for companies and housing development
- Management of real estate contracts
- Management of terrains
- Parking management and parking control
- Realization of parking garages
- Providing input for a good financial overview of the operation and investments in the Leiden Bio Science Park
- Building of underground and above-ground infrastructure such as cables and pipes, roads, pedestrian and bicycle paths
- Creation of parks, squares, and recreational areas
- Organizing and realizing a lively campus with a mix of functions such as living, working, dining, retail, etc.
- Achieving more density in the area towards an 'innovation district'
- Contract management and contract handling
- Maintaining websites and other communication about the LBSP
- Keeping and steering various balances such as the water balance, tree balance, and parking balance
- Developing and initiating projects in the field of biodiversity, climate adaptation, and circularity.