PhD Regulations Leiden University
- Target Audience
- Leiden University | Faculties
The PhD Regulations are established by the Doctorate Board. The regulations set out who is eligible to be a PhD candidate, what the tasks of the supervisor and co-supervisor are and which criteria the dissertation has to meet.
2023 PhD Regulations
The 2023 PhD Regulations became effective on 14 September 2023.
2021 PhD Regulations
The Leiden University PhD Regulations 2021 will then be withdrawn. As of 14 September 2023, the 2023 PhD Regulations of Leiden University will apply to all doctorates for which the manuscript has not yet been approved by the supervisor at that time. IAny exemptions are granted by the dean on behalf of the Doctoral Examination Board.
Overview of PhD Procedure
It is important that the dean and the Graduate School of the faculty where the PhD research takes place and the beadle of the University have all the information needed for the PhD procedure. A number of appendices to the PhD Regulations are therefore available that should be submitted at the points in time described in the Overview of PhD Procedure.
- Appendix A Request for exemption from the educational requirements relating to admission to the PhD programme.
- Appendix B Licensing agreement for the inclusion of the dissertation in the Leiden University Institutional Repository.
- Appendix C Letter from the dean to the PhD candidate regarding admission to the defence of the dissertation.
- Appendix D Cum laude regulations.
- Appendix E Ius Promovendi for senior lecturers (UHDs)