PhD Regulations Leiden University
- Target Audience
- Leiden University | Faculties
The PhD Regulations are established by the Doctorate Board. The regulations set out who is eligible to be a PhD candidate, what the tasks of the supervisor and co-supervisor are and which criteria the dissertation has to meet.
2018 PhD Regulations
The 2018 PhD Regulations became effective on 8 February 2018. The main changes from the previous regulations are the ius promovendi for associate professors and the option to conclude a joint doctorate agreement.
2015 PhD Regulations
Part of the 2015 PhD Regulations continues to apply for some PhD candidates. Specifically, the stipulations of article 12 of the 2015 PhD Regulations. These will apply until 8 February 2019 for dissertations that have already been approved by the supervisor on 8 February 2017.
Overview of PhD Procedure
It is important that the dean and the Graduate School of the faculty where the PhD research takes place and the beadle of the University have all the information needed for the PhD procedure. A number of appendices to the PhD Regulations are therefore available that should be submitted at the points in time described in the Overview of PhD Procedure.
- Appendix 1 Request for exemption from the educational requirements relating to admission to the PhD programme.
- Appendix 1a Request to be admitted to the Graduate School. Forms are available at the individual Graduate Schools.
- Appendix 2 Letter from the PhD candidate to the dean regarding the willingness of the professor to act as supervisor.
- Appendix 3 Letter from the supervisor to the Dean regarding approval/rejection of the manuscript of the dissertation.
- Appendix 3a Letter from the dean to the PhD candidate regarding the alternative procedure for dissertations in the Arts.
- Appendix 4 Licensing agreement for the inclusion of the dissertation in the Leiden University Institutional Repository.
- Appendix 4a Upload dissertation to the Library for the benefit of the Institutional Repository (IR) of the University (web form)
- Appendix 5a Letter from the supervisor to the dean proposing members of the Doctorate Committee.
- Appendix 5b Letter from the dean to the supervisor regarding the appointment of the members and secretary of the Doctorate Committee.
- Appendix 5c Letter from the secretary of the Doctorate Committee to the Dean regarding the approval of the manuscript of the dissertation by the Doctorate Committee.
- Appendix 6 Letter from the dean to the PhD candidate regarding admission to the defence of the dissertation.
- Appendix 7 Registration by the PhD candidate with the beadle for the defence of the dissertation (web form).
- Appendix 8a Letter from the supervisor to the dean regarding the composition of the Opposition Committee.
- Appendix 8b Letter from the dean to the beadle regarding the appointment of members of the Opposition Committee.
- Appendix 9 Cum laude regulations.
- Appendix 10 Ius Promovendi for senior lecturers (UHDs)