At the head of a research discipline is a Scientific Director. Once every two weeks, the Scientific Directors of the Faculty’s eight institutes come together with the Faculty Board to discuss the research portfolios of science, administration, faculty and administration of the budget plan. The Dean is chairman of the meeting and the Scientific Directors.
Roles and responsibilities of the Scientific Directors:
- Responsible for operation of the institute and quality assurance.
- Determines work of staff within the institute.
- Contributes to care admission, training and supervision of PhD Students
- Sets the five-year outline of the research programme at the Institute
- Advises the Faculty Board to estimate resource serving the research programme
- Is Chairman of the Scientific Council of the Institute
|Prof.dr. Geert de Snoo Chairman, Dean of the faculty|
|Prof.dr. Arnold Tukker Scientific Director Center for Environmental Sciences|
|Prof.dr. Herman Spaink Scientific Director Institute Biology Leiden|
|Prof.dr. Hubertus Irth
Scientific Director Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research
|Prof.dr. Aske Plaat
Scientific Director Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science
|Prof.dr. Jaap Brouwer Scientific Director Leiden Institute of Chemistry|
|Prof.dr. Eric Eliel Scientific Director Leiden Institute of Physics|
|Prof.dr. Aad van der Vaart Scientific Director, Mathematical Institute|
|Prof.dr. Huub Röttgering Scientific Director Leiden Observatory|