Since 1 January 2020, the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU) has provided an option for staff members to submit certain employment-related decisions taken by their manager or the University to an Arbitration Committee.
|Mr. H.J.G. Bruens (Harry)||Chair and member|
|Mr. O. van Loon (Olaf)||Deputy chair and member|
|Mrs. A.L.P. van Os-Ravesloot (Anna Lou)||Deputy chair and member|
|Ms. J. Lubking (Jacqueline)||Member|
Which decisions or rulings can you submit to the Arbitration Committee?
The following decisions, or similar rulings, can be submitted to the Arbitration Committee:
- staff assessment;
- change of position without prior agreement on this with the employee;
- refusal of promotion to a particular job grade;
- granting, refusal, withdrawal or repayment of study facilities;
- refusal of approval for carrying out ancillary activities;
- compliance with salary agreements and implementation of the individual choices model;
- compliance with leave entitlements.
The Arbitration Committee will advise the Executive Board, which will then take a decision on the basis of the advice.
Who can submit an application?
An application can only be submitted to the Committee
- if the employee has a personal interest;
- after the employee has demonstrably consulted with his/her manager on the matter concerned;
- if the employee and his/her manager have failed to reach agreement.
(Article 2.2 of the Sectoral Regulation on Disputes)
What must be included in the application?
The application must be in writing and signed, and must include at least:
- your name, position and address;
- the name of the manager involved in the dispute;
- a clear description of the dispute to which the application pertains and, if possible, a copy of the relevant document(s);
- your viewpoints;
- the date of the application and your signature.
Contact details Arbitration Committee
Send your application to:
Attn. The Arbitration Committee
P.O. Box 9500
2300 RA Leiden
Or you can send your application by email to CGW@bb.leidenuniv.nl.
Appointing members of the Arbitration Committee
The Executive Board appoints:
- the members and substitute members of the Committee on the recommendation of the employer’s side and the delegation of employees’ organisations;
- appoints the chair of the Committee on the joint recommendation of the Committee members.
The Arbitration Committee is assisted by a official secretary of the Legal Affairs department.
The Arbitration Committee’s procedures are laid down in the Dispute Regulations for Employees.